RN Stroke Quality Coordinator / Data Analyst - Lexington Medical Center
40 hours per week, day shift
Location: Lexington Medical Center
JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for the identification of patients with a diagnosis meeting Stroke criteria, abstracts charts for stroke registry information, and assures accurate coding of the diagnoses and procedures utilizing ICD-codes. Maintains the Stroke Registries and all quality assurance issues related to stroke for WFBH. Works in collaboration with various medical, clinical and administrative staff to achieve desired outcomes and compliance with evidence based practice, requirements from The Joint Commission (TJC), CMS and other accrediting bodies. Responsible for providing leadership to ensure validity of measurement, accuracy of data, patient safety and regulatory compliance with quality improvement, reporting and regulatory initiatives. Uses a combination of nursing, quality and informatics knowledge to manage data, process and information systems. Objectives would include improving clinical care as well as clinical documentation and reporting for treatment, prevention and drug administration regimens, record keeping practices, workflow procedures, medical decision-making practices and pay-for-performance programs.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: Graduation with a degree from an accredited School of Nursing with two years' experience in a specific clinical specialty required. BSN with two years' experience working with projects/teams requiring data management and project planning preferred.
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION, and/or REGISTRATION: Current license as a Registered Nurse (RN) in North Carolina.
1. Performs medical record abstraction for the purpose of quality improvement or reporting. Reviews and analyzes healthcare data and records, validating accuracy and quality documentation to ensure compliance with program requirements.
2. Acts as primary resource and consultant for healthcare providers in regards to a complete and accurate medical record. Ensures that medical records meet regulations. Consults with healthcare provider or quality initiative team regarding missing documentation and ensures that the correct data is entered. Assures registry data is accurate and reporting deadlines are met.
3. Maintains a comprehensive listing of patients with diagnoses meeting Stroke criteria. Validates stroke data and prepares and reviews monthly data summaries to assure data entries are complete.
4. Organizes and maintains database to ensure conformance to registry operational standards. Collects and enters data needed for performance improvement including data dictionary and definitions.
5. Reports, according to procedure, any relevant cases to Stroke leadership, Quality/Performance Improvement, and Neurosciences Service Line leadership for review.
6. Answers/researches technical inquires related to the Stroke Registry.
7. Participates in the development of in-services, huddle messages, leadership presentations, medical staff updates, and process owner presentations.
8. Provides education to healthcare providers on best practice patient care as well as documentation, interpretation and compliance of the medical record. Collaborates with medical providers on the documentation for the elements of care for certain patient populations. Design Education and Communication Strategies for all stakeholders.
9. Assists in the development of patient care instructional material to promote optimal patient care partnerships.
10. Presents statistical information in concise, understandable manner within various levels of the organization that promotes a culture of high reliability.
11. Works collaboratively with Systems Analysts in Quality and IS to track and collect data.
12. Participates in ongoing updates and changes in abstraction and submission requirements that address optimal patient care standards.
0% 35% 65%
to to to
35% 65% 100% N/A Activity
X Reaching with arms
X Finger and hand dexterity
Lifting, carrying, pushing and or pulling:
X 20 lbs. maximum
X 50 lbs. maximum
X 100 lbs. maximum